Since I get asked how I got started, I thought I'm make a page with some good info to share with those who might be interested.
During my first year as a photographer, I was asked to do some properties when I was taking head shots of Realtors I know. I've been in the real estate industry a very long time and have a lot of connections. I also have a good reputation as being honest, ethical and technical so I think it's easy for agents to feel comfortable hiring me.
If you know any agents, I'd start there. I've been 90% referral based. The other 10% has been by sponsoring real estate tours and office presentations. You could talk to agents about taking photos and then if they do a broker open, offer to help out so you can get out there in front of the agents.
It's hard to get clients because most feel they take good enough pictures. It's finding the ones who know they don't and are comfortable hiring someone to do it for them.
Equipment: You'll need at least 2 speed lights, a good tripod, and an ultra angle lens (16-20 on the wide end). I typically have one speed light near my camera, and one or two for when I need light in another room. I also use diffusers on my lights so I don't get hot spots. I shoot with a D750/D610, Tokina 16-28 2.8 Pro OR my Fuji XT1 with my Fuji 10-24mm. You won't need your expo disk or white balance card - you should be able to adjust any color balance in raw.
Wide angles are always going to have distortion - you can't get around it. Finding a lens that has less distortion, less lens flare, less chromatic aberration, doesn't "stretch" too much and isn't soft in the corners is always a compromise. I'll take a little more lens flare for sharp corners any day. A landscape photographer might choose the opposite.
My thoughts on lens: For my first 3 years, I used a Nikon 10-24 DX lens on my D600 & D610's. LOVED this lens! I also like that it's a DX lens (15-35mm on my FX camera) because it automatically crops out some of the distortion and it decreases the file sizes which are pretty large at 24mb on FX SLR. It's a happy combo. It's also not too heavy, which is nice.
The ideal is the Nikon 14-24 2.8 but it's over 2 lbs which is pretty heavy and its very expensive. I recently bought the new Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 Pro lens. It has pretty bad flare but practically no distortion and is sharp and clean. It's not as heavy as Nikon's 14-24mm. Nikon also makes a 16-35 that's cheaper than the 14-24mm but I've heard it has some bad distortion at 16mm. Another option if you want to dabble in real estate photography and the homes are spacious enough in your area is a 20mm prime. The sigma 10-20 also gets good reviews.
Time commitment: Plan on spending 1-2 hours per house with up to 12 rooms, then double that in post processing. There's lots to fix after shooting interiors- you'll have distortion to fix, hot spots to burn, reflections to remove, and other misc things to fix, especially until you learn how to avoid some of these things. Also, never remove anything that is permanent, ie outdoor electrical lines or trees. It's against the law (see Truth in Advertising laws).
I hope that helps and I hope this works out for you! There's not a lot of women who do this so I love seeing more of us out there.
For pricing, check local photographers to see what they are charging. It's really all over the place price wise.
This is a great site to learn more - http://photographyforrealestate.net
Let me know if you have any other questions. I adore taking real estate photos - I definitely found my niche!